Monday, November 22, 2010

Your Turn: Airport Screening

Your Turn: Airport Screening: From GovGab: "

airport screeningJust in time for the holiday travel season, the Transportation Security Administration has come under fire about whether its Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) machines store images, its pat-down procedures for toddlers are too harsh and many other concerns about airport screening.

In response, TSA's Administrator John S. Pistole has released a statement and TSA's Blogger Bob posted a blog debunking many of the myths and rumors. Public response to those posts and to TSA in general has not been positive. I am not going to list TSA's myths, again you can go here to see them, because I thought this week we could have a dialogue about your feelings regarding airport screening.

I am not a fan of airport screening. Anytime I go to the airport, I get nervous because I feel my personal boundaries are infringed upon by the basic screening. I don't like the rush to put my carry on items, shoes, coat and everything else through a conveyor belt. I dread walking through the metal detector. I have yet to be selected for an AIT machine screening, but watched in horror as my fiance was scanned by one. I was relieved when she lived to tell about it, her personal boundaries, though bruised, still intact.

As concerned as these reports of TSA mistakes make me, I am more concerned when I hear about security breaches on planes like the recent printer cartridge scare. I consider airport screening an unpleasant necessity and I hope that TSA learns from the recent mistakes and implements more customer friendly procedures.

That's my take, what's yours?

"

No comments:

Post a Comment