If you’ve ever wondered what’s in a certain dietary supplement, like over-the-counter vitamins and minerals, or if a certain product is safe for you to take, the Dietary Supplements Labels Database can help you find the answers.
The database has information about the ingredients in several thousand selected brands of dietary supplements. Those ingredients might be vitamins, minerals, herbs/plants, amino acids, or enzymes. Information is also given on any product claims made by a supplement’s manufacturer. The database can help you find answers to questions such as:
- What are the ingredients shown on the label of a supplement?
- How much of the daily recommended allowance for a nutrient is in a specific product?
- Can I compare the amount of a specific nutrient between products?
- What are the inactive ingredients in a product?
- Which products do not contain animal products?
- Can I find studies that indicate the proven medical benefits of specific ingredients?
- Can I find information on the toxicity of specific ingredients?
- Who manufactures a specific product? How do I contact this manufacturer?
- How the ingredients are used in humans
- Any adverse effects
- Mechanisms of action