If you receive your federal benefits by paper check, you’ll need to switch to electronic payments by March 1, 2013.
The federal benefits affected are:
- Social Security
- Supplemental Security Income
- Veterans Affairs
- Railroad Retirement Board
- Office of Personnel Management
- Department of Labor (Black Lung)
1. Direct Deposit: The U.S. Treasury deposits your benefits directly into your bank account. You can sign up for direct deposit in one of these ways:
- Enroll online.
- Visit your bank or credit union.
- Call (800) 333-1795 (Mon-Fri, 8am-8pm ET).
- Contact the local office of the agency providing your federal benefits.
- Enroll by mail.
Be ready with the information you’ll need to set up your federal benefit payments by direct deposit or debit card.
If you have questions, call the Go Direct Helpline at (800) 333-1795.