Thursday, May 13, 2010

Book Review-Listener

A few months ago I read a creepy book called "The Little Stranger".  Shortly after that, I read a review of it on a blog that I enjoy that went on to recommended Shira Nayman's "The Listener", so I put my name on it and waited.  I finally got the book and read it while I was on vacation.  Wow!  It was wonderful.  It takes place after WWII, in a psychiatric hospital that treats soldiers (among others).  The narrator is the head of the hospital, and is himself a survivor of WWI.  Because I had read the review of "The Little Stranger", which mentioned that the narrator was unreliable, I was prepared for it in this book.  The reader has to be on guard while reading  in order to separate out what is true and what is just in the narrator's head.  Fascinating and eerie.





The Little Stranger
The Little Stranger
By Waters, Sarah
2009-04 - Riverhead Hardcover
9781594488801 Check Our Catalog

…More

 


The Listener
The Listener
By Nayman, Shira
2009-12 - Scribner Book Company
9780743292825 Check Our Catalog BookPage Notable Title

Nayman's riveting and haunting first novel of madness and passion is set in apsychiatric hospital just after World War II. …More

No comments:

Post a Comment