Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Student Jobs

Student Jobs: From GovGab: "woman taking an order from a customer at a restaurantWhen I was in high school and college I almost always had a part-time job. I worked at the mall, in department stores, sold shoes, lifeguarded, and did some office work in an academic office on campus. I always avoided being a waitress. I’m so clumsy that I would have surely dropped a tray of drinks in someone’s lap.
All of these jobs lined my pockets with a little extra cash, but it was really that job in the academic office in college that was something that gave me the skills and experience I needed to enter the workforce. And who would guess that it was a federal work study job that would get me started? The university got the money to pay me through a federal grant program.
Students looking for a job have a lot of options. I wish I knew about all these different programs when I was in school.
If you’re looking for a paying position like I had at the university, talk to the people in your financial aid office. They know where the work study jobs are. If you want to branch out a bit, I recommend looking at the student jobs section of usajobs.gov, the official source for federal government jobs.
Internships are also a great place to gain experience, and sometimes they pay too. There are many internship opportunities with government and non-government organizations.
And if you’re really not in it for the money, think about volunteer opportunities like Job Corps or Peace Corps that offer rich life experiences.
What was your favorite student job? I think the one that I really liked the most was teaching swimming lessons."

No comments:

Post a Comment