Monday, November 23, 2009

Safe Battery Disposal

Safe Battery Disposal: From GovGab:

BatteryI don't need 8 hours of battery power from my laptop, but when my computer couldn't last an hour away from the socket I decided to pony up for a new battery. After a few minutes of careful research online, I found a deal on a replacement.

Since I had never replaced a laptop battery, I didn't know if I could throw away my old computer battery. It turns out that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has many resources available for electronic disposal and recycling and a specific page devoted to batteries.
I found that not all batteries contain toxic materials, but some do contain cadmium and mercury which can pose a threat to the environment. While it's not illegal to throw away most batteries, it's best to recycle them. The EPA directs those who want to recycle to the Earth911 website where you can plug in your zip code and find a spot to recycle rechargeable and single use batteries in your area.
When I punched in my zip code, I found that in addition to a local county recycling center, my local grocery store recycles batteries. I'll probably drop off my laptop batteries when I go shopping.
How do you dispose of your batteries?

No comments:

Post a Comment