Friday, January 8, 2010

Organizing for 2010

Organizing for 2010: From GovGab:
Filing system"Did hell freeze over and someone forgot to tell me? I didn't notice, but was the moon in the 7th house and Jupiter aligned with Mars? (Age
of Aquarius
? Doesn't ring a bell? Never mind.) I don't know what rare event occurred, but something influenced me last weekend, because I did something that I never do... I organized my paperwork! Just last week, in my blog, I mentioned my total lack of interest in organizing, but on Saturday, something compelled me to sit down to
sift through the mounds of paper.


My first inclination was to take all of my paper crap (technical term) and, without sorting through any of it, just dump it in a plastic bin to be stashed in the garage attic, never to see the light of day. I resisted that urge and sorted
through it. I discovered that quite a bit of it could be thrown away. I organized and filed everything in the expandable folder I had purchased a year ago. I labeled the folder “2009 Crap” (again with the technical jargon). Then I went to an office supply store and purchased another folder for my 2010 paperwork.


I learned 3 things from this organizing activity:

  1. I feel better when I don't have all of that clutter surrounding me. It was actually making me feel stressed to see it;
  2. I already have most of my stuff pulled together for the upcoming tax season. I am practically giddy with the thought that I won't be scrambling at the last minute this year; and
  3. My desk is pretty. It is made of a lovely cherry wood. Who knew?


Am I turning over a new leaf, and will I permanently stay organized? Probably not. Hopefully, another celestial event will drive me to organize again next year, but for now I am feeling very pleased with myself..


If you are like me, you may need a little inspiration to get your office and home life more organized and ready for 2010. Here are some resources that offer some organizational tips and tricks, helpful guidance on what to keep, and where to get copies of
important documents:




Now, if only someone could send some inspiration my way to get me motivated to organize and put away my Christmas stuff! My goal is to have it all stowed away by Easter....maybe! LOL.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment