Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Thumbs up for B&N’s nook™

Thumbs up for B&N’s nook™: From Overdrive's Blog:


"Last month, it was announced that Adobe EPUB and PDF eBooks available from many OverDrive-powered 'Virtual Branch' websites are compatible with the Barnes & Noble nook™.

After several weeks of bothering our Support Team, I finally got my hands on the nook; one of the most talked about eBook readers recently. I know it’s a little late, but I hope you will be pleasantly surprised with my findings.

Let’s start with overall functionality. The nook’s screen is in two main parts: the top screen is dedicated for reading, while the second, smaller screen at the bottom, is the LCD menu.

The reading display uses the same E Ink technology as other popular eBook readers. I found the text to be more crisp than I’ve seen on other products, and as with all E Ink devices, you will notice images only appear in black and white.

The LCD menu gives you the option to choose your font size, set bookmarks, and search for specific words. The interface, however, is not the most intuitive and took me a few times to get the hang of it. Another observation is that the LCD menu's touch functionality does not have the quickest response time as you might see with devices such as the iPhone® and BlackBerry® Storm.

There has been some discussion on review websites about the delay of a 'page turn'. I didn’t notice a response time that took any longer than other devices such as the Sony® Reader™. Another topic has been the weight of the device being too heavy. The weight, 11.2 ounces, doesn’t feel any different than if you were holding a physical book.

The nook currently retails for $259 from the B&N website and you might even be able to find it in a B&N store near you. If you are considering purchasing the nook for yourself or as a gift, I encourage you to do more research and make sure this product is a good fit for you.

Personally, I truly enjoyed the reading experience on the nook and if you give it a chance, you might find you do too."

No comments:

Post a Comment