Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Resolving Consumer Problems

Resolving Consumer Problems: From GovGab: "consumer action handbook coverToday I want to tell you the story of the Consumer Action Handbook, a free government publication that saved me $2500.00.

Once upon a time, my family and I were headed out of town, and our car broke down on the road about 40 miles from home. Our roadside assistance service would only pay for a 3-mile tow, so we had it towed to a local mechanic rather than our trusted mechanic who was 50 miles away. What a mistake that was.

The mechanic noodled around with the car for about a week before he managed to do some really serious damage to the engine. Engine repair? The only thing I know about engine repair is that it’s expensive! He needed to get that car out of his shop, and his plan was to have me pay $200 to tow the car to a dealer, and be done with me. I tried to have an adult conversation about who was really responsible for these expenses, but he danced and wriggled and wouldn’t give in. I had that horrible, sick, “you’re being taken advantage of” feeling, and I was mad and upset and I didn’t know what to do.

But that mechanic didn’t know that I work for the people who wrote the Consumer Action Handbook. I downloaded a copy of the Handbook and quickly learned exactly what to do. I followed the directions to contact my state Consumer Protection office, picked up the phone and called the mechanic again so we could have another conversation about what was going on and what I planned to do. Wow, what a difference.

Suddenly the mechanic was arranging and paying for the tow to the dealer and was also going to cover the expenses for repairing the engine. Literally, this publication saved me $2500.00, and to me that’s a lot of money. Behold the power of the informed consumer.

Order a copy of the Consumer Action Handbook today, or Download it

"

No comments:

Post a Comment